Saturday, February 23, 2008

It was a dark and leafy green...

I have conquered kale!

(The urge to write "konquered" was almost overwhelming! Does the paucity of k's in the English lexicon make it so irresistible or are more sinister factors afoot?)

Kale is a dark leafy green. In fact, if you bring up kale, someone will almost doubtlessly say those exact words. It is the definition of kale that everyone knows. Much like the fact that everyone knows that mitochrondria are the "powerhouse of the cell." (I'm not kidding. Ask anyone.)

It's also a pretty intimidating green, possibly due to the darkness, but more likely the leafiness. Specifically the curliness of the leafiness, which is somewhat difficult to wrangle with. I mean, most vegetables don't even require "wrangling." But since kale is a "nutritional powerhouse" (What is it with science and the word "powerhouse"? No one else uses that word.), I decided it was about time to wrangle.

It went fine! There was a moment when the wrangling and slicing was creating a really enormous pile that threatened to take over my kitchen (much like last Thanksgiving, when I was nearly buried in a mountain of collard greens for days), but eventually I put them in a pot. I was following the "Garlicky Kale" recipe from VwaV, but I cut down on the oil because I'm a freak. It probably would have been better with more oil, but it worked out fine. The garlic was delicious and the kale cooked up tender and flavorful yet still dark and leafy.

Victory!

(Sorry these photos are so unappetizing, but I swear that the kale was delicious. I need a better camera. And, um, the will to cook before it's dark outside.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, i love kale! i thought you always said it was too bitter? it is especially good if you just lightly sautee it with a tiny bit of olive oil and season it with lemon juice. it tastes good with steamed tofu on the side (steaming tofu is my new favorite thing...it makes the tofu less prone to breaking but preserves its natural silky texture).