Saturday, March 1, 2008

Freaky Greeky

My paycheck finally came and the first thing I wanted to do was go grocery shopping. I was so excited about it! I wanted to look at every single thing in Trader Joe's and Whole Foods just to see if raw items were secretly hiding on the shelves. I'm trying to budget a little so that I'm not desperate at the end of the month (see: two days ago), but I had to buy a few exciting things.

I should have just loaded up on baby spinach, though. I bought raw nuts, but now I just shove them into my mouth compulsively, like a neurotic squirrel. Also, I bought raw cacao powder, but then today I read some articles about how it isn't even healthy and probably not actually raw and also probably full of insect parts and rat feces. Yum! Can't wait to make desserts now!

Yet the new ingredients allowed me to finally make something other than a smoothie or salad. Falafel! I found the recipe on Gone Raw and it doesn't involve a dehydrator, and while I was concerned that my poor little blender wouldn't be able to handle sunflower seeds, it pulverized them. I put them in a bowl and mixed the other ingredients, then mixed them together in the bowl. With my hands, how earthy!

I actually screwed up and added way too much onion and cilantro to the first batch (still aggravating my Pitta nature, sorry glittahface), so I had to pulverize a whole 'nother cup of sunflower seeds to balance it out, but in the end, they were quite tasty. Or at least the bits that I licked off my hands after rolling them into little balls were tasty.

But still green! What can you do?

Later I'll eat them in a romaine leaf with some tomato and raw olives. I wish I had cucumber, but they were over $2.50 EACH at WH, and TJ's isn't much better. Come soon, summer, come soon.

(The neighboring building just got painted. I wonder if I'm next!)

No comments: